Sunday, April 24, 2011

this is just to say

Tonight I am blogging on the poem this is just to say by William Carlos Williams. I find it humorous that his parents named him William and one of his last manes is Williams. Ha. Unless he took his wife's name which was Williams or something. In which case.... I have nothing to say! Okay now that I have gotten down my weekly blog poetry humor, onto the real stuff. The real good stuff.

After I read this poem, I decided that I liked it because hey I like plums. Not only do oI like plums but I also like uncapitalized letters! When I realized that none of the letters were capitalized, I thought how strange. But then I thought about how when i'm sad or when I am texting someone who is mad at me, I use lower case. 
Wait, I just realized there are two capitalized letters. These capitalized letters are I and Forgive though so i'm thinking that Williams is owning up to what he did by saying yeah it was ME who ate your plums, please FORGIVE me. 

I don't think that this poem has any deep meaning. I think that this was either just a quick poem that Williams jotted down after he ate the plums and realized what he did, OR a poem that he wrote like a day or two later after he was being eaten alive by guilt for eating this other persons plums. 

In the first stanza he just begins by owning up to the fact that he ate the plums. In the second he was recognizing that his friend was probably saving them. In the last stanza, he asks for forgiveness like 'I see why you were saving those plums because they were soooo delicious, but i'm sorry I ate them and please don't hate me'. 

I like this poem a lot because it is probably the first poem that I have read where the reader was writing about something that he regretted doing in such frank terms. The poem is like a small poem that is just Williams asking for forgiveness for eating a plum. It was pretty kind too, so if someone ate my plum then wrote me an apologetic poem I would definitely forgive them.

1 comment:

  1. A kind note goes a long way! :D Someone suggested this should be taped to the fridge. lol

    ReplyDelete