Sunday, March 20, 2011

Inversnaid

So this depressing Sunday I decided to blog on the great poem Inversnaid by Gerard Manley Hopkins. I just decided to blog on this poem because it was the first poem I came across when I picked up that darn poetry packet. This poem was intriguing to me because it tells a story that I could sort of imagine. This is not really my favorite poem but oh well, I gotta blog on something.

Okay, let's analyze this piece of poetry. 4 stanzas. 4 quatrians. Why? Because, that's why. It has a standard abab rhyme that is occasionally slanted, but hey no one is perfect or Dr. Seuss. I think that each stanza actually describes a different part of the setting of the story.

One cool thing about this poem was that it was very descriptive and colorful ironically because when I think of the old south I think of everything being dark and light shades of brown. Description is always good though because it helps me understand the poem.

BTW- Inversnaid is not a word, incase you were wondering.

When I read this poem, I saw a man like in the old west intimidating everyone because he is scry. I could be completely off but hey, this is how I analyzed this poem.

3 comments:

  1. Good job using literary terms to describe the structure! I also thought it was great that you mentioned the rhyme scheme and made your own personal connection to the poem. And, fun fact, Inversnaid isn't a word, but I think it might be a city somewhere in Europe...or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how much you analyzed the poem's structure because i really need to learn how to do that and seeing what you analyzed and how you analyzed it really helps me to see how i can do it better. Idk what you really think of the poem because you didnt really go into the substance of the poem. I hope we get to talk about this polem so i can see what you think. This was cool!

    ReplyDelete